Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thanks for Tiredness

I went to bed at 7:30 pm last night. What?! Why am I so exhausted, I thought, as I plunged quickly into the depths of deep sleep, the children sent off to finish reading quietly on their own. Wait, I've got things to do ... yes, I did pack 4 sets of clean hole-less underwear four weeks ago ... but that was it! I could end up at the Gala Dinner in bare feet if I don't pack shoes and stockings, stockings? who has stockings? ... my chocolates will be melted if I don't get up now, get dressed, run out to Canadian Tire to pick up a disposable ice pack, do they sell stockings at Canadian Tire? ... and what about getting back down to the computer to figure out how all those wonderful sessions fit into even more empty slots on the Conference Planner ?

At the last local conference the LLLadies and I, legs draped over hotel chair arms, chatted all night it seemed, in a glow of mutual catharsis and discovery ... how can I show up like a virtual rag doll ? Get up ... old body ...get up .... zz zzzzZ ...

Getting ready for the conference is not what I expected. We have even sadly lost one of our co-leaders on this venture in the hullabaloo. It hasn't been chatting and planning with my co-leader Valerie about conference plans like girlfriends going away to summer camp. No doubt in the same situation, from the very beginning of this adventure, Valerie and I have had a handful of 60 second breathless phone calls or emails stolen between busy schedules of juggling children, family, work... family. The calls not about the conference but about such things as last minute fundraising for the group, or putting out fires such as the disaster of our World Breastfeeding Celebration invitation cards being printed, yes in time this year, but with all our partners name on them except for our dear "La Leche League Canada"! Aaarrgghh!

My lack of sleep could be due to my 10 year old's growing pains, squeezing into the King sized family bed for warm hugs and massages in the middle of the night, it could be my 8 year old too exhausted from a day of play in the hot sun falling asleep before the evening bathroom duty was completed and also napping after a long year of school days, then waking up in the middle of the night to read "Gold Quest", and my little nearly five year old doing the bedtime shuffle between his twin bunk bed and Daddy's bed.

DH, bless his heart was not born to LLL, but rather has evolved over the years from a "six month" family bed-der to a nearly "five year limit each, 10 year total" to the family bed-der. Although it doesn't seem that we are lacking too many hours of sleep, somehow we are all walking the baggy eyes zombie walk.

Each day, my house is filled with anywhere from 3 to 8 children before guests.

Yesterday (nine children ages 2 to12) the 2 year old adjourned our World Breastfeeding Celebration Planning Meeting.

Today, over the summer holiday while my co-leaders are on holiday, we conveniently host our #4 Series Meeting "Kid Snacks" at home instead of the usual Mississauga Life Centre. I am so proud of the children, they've each picked or invented a kid snack recipe, purchased their ingredients at the local grocers, and today the show is theirs as they make and bring their kid snack (bugs on a log, peanut butter and banana rolls, cucumber & mozzarella salad, mini pizzas, Asian salad) to the table for our informal LLL Series Meeting.

Tomorrow is birthday day for all the children who have birthdays over the summer while we are away on holiday. They are making their own cupcake mountain and will be very proud to present their masterpiece to their guests.

At 8:30 am on Friday July 20th Valerie and I will sleep in the car while dear hubby drives us all up to Niagara-on-the-Lake to drop my 3 children off at Grandma and Grandpa's house and then off to Buffalo Airport. Valerie and I will catch up on the 1 1/2 hour flight to Chicago ... and I promise after we navigate the train (not down for construction) to the Chicago Hilton, we will arrive fresh and un-melted, totally hyped to meet our dear LLL sisters ... and with shoes to boot!



No comments: