Thursday, June 21, 2007

Getting there....

Getting there…

I’ve watched many of my Leaders come back from International conference floating on air. They are completely blissed out and they can’t say enough about the experience. I’ve always wanted to attend International but there has always been one thing stopping me---Money!!

I read articles on how Leaders raised the funds to attend International with much interest. I kept my eyes open for scholarship applications until I saw the Ripplewood Foundation scholarship. After a bit of scrambling, I managed to get the application in on time.

I got it!!! The only sad thing is that the scholarship was designed for those that would be traveling alone. No family trek to Chicago. I was going to be on my own for this one. Gulp. I haven’t been without my family --ever.

Even with the Ripplewood Scholarship, which generously pays for the conference registration, I still needed to figure out how to pay for room and board. I turned to my La Leche League Area, which is always so helpful, and they kicked in some cash. Still there was a deficit and I decided to take care of it the old fashioned way. I got a job. Actually, I got two.

One of my jobs, was a work at home position with very flexible part time hours. So for several months I sat at home and typed my little fingers raw for my friend’s transcription business. Then I had a dream part time job pretty much fall into my lap. I get to coordinate fitness clinics for a local non-profit. Get this—I get paid to exercise with children. Yes it really couldn’t get any better but it was only a few hours a season and the transcription job was what really made it possible for me to save money.

My husband helped me budget my earnings. Every week we would meet and figure out if I was staying on budget if I was saving enough. These weren’t fun meetings because even though I don’t usually have a lot of money, when I do have it I’m awfully good at spending it.

In a matter of months, I had earned enough to make it to Chicago. That was a pretty big load off my shoulders. It isn’t that I hate working but I have to admit that several hours of sitting on the computer was taking its toll on my household. I just baked muffins for the first time in months because I no longer have any deadlines hanging over my head.

Of course, none of this will matter in about a month when I’m in Chicago having a ball. Still I thought that it would be cool to share on how I got to attend International. I know I can’t be the only one working hard to get there.

To all you hard working mamas—BESOS!!!

**********************************************************************************

Yo he visto lideres regresar de la conferencia internacional flotando en las nubes. Vuelven felices y no puden describir la experiencia. ¡¡Yo siempre he querido asistir a la conferencia internacional pero siempre he tenido el mismo obstáculo—el dinero!!

Con mucho interés, he leido los artículos sobre los lideres adquiriendo los fondos necesarios para asistir a la conferencia internacional con mucha interes. Me quedé alerta buscando aplicaciones de beca. Vi la informacion sobre la beca de “Ripplewood Foundation.” Y la pedí. Claro, que entregé a aplicación en los últimos momentos.

¡¡Gane la beca!! Lo triste fue que la beca Ripplewood es para los que viajan solos. No puede ser una exursion para la familia. Tengo que viajar sola. Imagínate--- yo que nunca estoy sin mi familia.

La beca paga por la registración pero todavía me tocaba buscar dinero para el hotel y los otros gastos. La Liga del Leche local me ayudó con un poco de dinero. Pero todavía tenía un déficit y yo arreglé el problema en una manera muy tradicional. Consegí trabajo. Acutalmente consegí dos trabajos.

Uno de los trabjaos, era en casa con unas horas muy flexibles. Por varios meses me maté trabjando en la computadora para la compañia de una amiga. Tambien me gané un trabajo ideal. Es un trabjo de coordinar clinicas de ejercicios y buen salud para una organización sin ánimo de lucro. Me pagan por ser ejercios con niños. Es un trabjao perfecto pero es de pocas horas. Por eso fue el trabjo de computadoras que me ayudo ahorar el dinero necesario.

Mi esposo me ayudó ahorar y presupuestar mi sueldo. Cada semana tuvimos reuniones para examinar el presopuesto y hacer cuentas. Estas reuniones eran difíciles. Para mi ahorrar el dinero es difícil, pero gastarlo me viene muy naturalmente.

En unos mesos de trabajo ahoré el dinero que me faltaba. ¡Que alivio! No es que no me gusta trabajar pero yo noté que las horas de trabajo estaban afectando mi familia. Hoy coci al horno para la primera vez en meses. Tengo más tiempo porque no tengo que preocuparme sobre el trabajo.

Claro que en un mes voy a estar disfrutarme en Chicago. Yo quería contar lo que me tocó hacer para llegar a Chicago porque yo sé que no soy la única trabajando duro.

Para todas las madres trabajando duro para llegar a Chicago---Besos!!

No comments: